Life in the Spirit
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. 8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus[d] from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8:5-11 ESV
- The Contrast
- The Control
- The Comfort
7 things in verses 5-8 that characterize the mind of the unbeliever.
- Unbelievers’ minds are set on the things of the flesh
- Those whose minds are set on the flesh will face eternal punishment in hell.
- The unbeliever lacks peace.
- The unbeliever is hostile to God.
- Unbelievers do not submit to God’s laws.
- Unbelievers cannot submit to God’s law.
- Unbelievers cannot please God.
7 things that characterize a believer
- A believer sets his or her mind on the things of the Spirit.
- Believers have eternal life in Jesus.
- Believers are at peace with God because of our justification.
- The mind of the believer is subject to the law of God.
- Believers are obedient to the gospel from the heart
- A believer is able to subject him or herself to the law of God.
- Believers are able to please God.
- Romans 8:5 - 11